Tuesday, June 27, 2006

 

Bushcraft in Britain - part iii


So across another paddock and hey presto, we come out at a cricket pitch with afternoon Sunday game just starting right next to the best little pub in Betchworth. Yess folks, after a good 3 hours of walking in the general direction of Dorking, we had managed to get to the halfway mark. And so, Kaz and I pulled up stumps at the fantastic Red Lion pub, and polished off several pints before heading to the local railway station as the buses don’t run on Sundays! We had to wait 2 hours for the train so a quick retreat to the red Lion for more beer, crisps and cricket was in order.

“Remind me to only go bushwalking in Australia with experienced people” said Karolina in what I thought to be a very harsh assessment of my bushcraft skills.

It took some getting over our walk to almost Dorking. Not from tiredness, more the frustration of not knowing exactly where we were and the complete lack of road signs when on the roads, and the inconsistency of the markers for the South Downs Way. My guess is that we would have walked a good 6 miles n the 3 hours we were trudging along as we were never dawdling and our only break was 30 minutes for lunch. My next walk will not be with a bus map. I think I might try bicycle maps!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?